Unabridged Marriage Certificate
You can attempt to apply for the Unabridged Marriage Certificate directly at Home Affairs, but this can take up to 8 weeks from the date of application. And let’s not forget the time taken to stand in the queue, fill in the correct forms and taking off time from work to do so.
At Visa Logistics we have offices in Pretoria and have access to all Government departments in South Africa's Capital City.
We help and assist all South African citizens, local or abroad by providing a quick and 100% genuine Unabridged Marriage Certificate Service.
GET IN TOUCH
5 Helene Avenue, Blackheath, Cape Town, South Africa
(+27) 21 418 1843
(+27) 21 554 7861
Ground Floor, Fredman Towers, 13 Fredman Drive, Sandton
(+27) 21 418 7868
26A JDN House, 3rd Floor, Shortmarket Street, Cape Town, 8001
(+27) 21 418 1843
(+27) 21 554 7861
(+27) 60 926 7626
Corporate Consultant is Abdul Karriem Parker
Cell: +27 82 672 6786
Tel: (+27) 21 418 1843
Tel: +27 (21) 554 7861
Fax: +27 86 519 5786
How do you apply for an unabridged marriage certificate?
The following documentation must be submitted for an application for an unabridged marriage certificate:
- A fully completed BI-130 form in black ink, dated and signed by the applicant;
- a letter from the applicant requesting the marriage certificate; the letter must also include the applicant’s contact details (residential address, mobile phone number and email address);
- both spouses’ original passports (and / or identity documents), and photocopies of the page with the applicant’s biometric data / photograph;
- the applicant’s South African abridged or unabridged marriage certificate, if available, and a photocopy of it;
- in the case of a marriage within the last six (6) months, a copy of the form BI-30 from the marriage officer, which he or she would have submitted to an office of the Department of Home Affairs to register the marriage – may be attached to the application as a fax or scan;
What is the difference between an abridged and unabridged certificate and which one should we apply for?
When you get married in South Africa, you’ll be issued with a handwritten marriage certificate on the day of your wedding at no cost, by the marriage officer. It is advisable to apply for your unabridged certificate from the Department of Home Affairs soon as possible, as all marriages are registered at the Department.
Soon after your wedding an Abridged Typed Marriage Certificate, issued by Home Affairs will be sent to you. This Abridged Marriage Certificate will contain both your personal details such as full name and ID number as well as the date of the marriage. It is sufficient for couples who are living in South Africa, as proof of marital status, and it will be accepted in certain countries abroad with an apostille/authentication.
Unabridged Marriage Certificates
An unabridged certificate, also known as a full marriage certificate, contains more detailed information about both spouses, in addition to verifying that the nuptials are permissible and also documenting that the marriage has been witnessed by eligible spectators. This formal certificate is generally required if you plan to travel extensively, emigrate or obtain a foreign passport.
If one or both spouses are not South African, an unabridged marriage certificate will be required to register the marriage their home countries.
We at Visa Logistics strive to provide the best and most efficient services to meet your needs and deadlines. We carry out all queries and processes immediately but we cannot be held liable if third parties or issuing authorities delay the process or if they do not issue your documents before the intended date. We cannot be held liable for any losses incurred with regards to flights and accommodation if visas or other documents are not processed in time.
Learn more about our Document Attestation Services