Unabridged Marriage Certificates

We would be able to assist with reprints of home affairs documents, depending on where the original document was issued.

You can attempt to apply for the Unabridged Marriage Certificate directly at Home Affairs, but this can take up to 8 weeks from the date of application. And let’s not forget the time taken to stand in the queue, fill in the correct forms and taking off time from work to do so.

At Visa Logistics we have offices in Pretoria and have access to all Government departments in South Africa’s Capital City.

We help and assist all South African citizens, local or abroad by providing a quick and 100% genuine Unabridged Marriage Certificate Service.

Processing time frame 6 to 10 weeks. We assist clients from start to finish, contact us directly for more information.


What you need to know

Signature Ceremony. The bride and groom sign the documents about the marriage
The following documentation must be submitted for an application for an unabridged marriage certificate:
  • A fully completed BI-130 form  in black ink, dated and signed by the applicant;
  • a letter from the applicant requesting the marriage certificate; the letter must also include the applicant’s contact details (residential address, mobile phone number and email address);
  • both spouses’ original passports (and / or identity documents), and photocopies of the page with the applicant’s biometric data / photograph;
  • the applicant’s South African abridged or unabridged marriage certificate, if available, and a photocopy of it;
  • in the case of a marriage within the last six (6) months, a copy of the form BI-30 from the marriage officer, which he or she would have submitted to an office of the Department of Home Affairs to register the marriage – may be attached to the application as a fax or scan;
When you get married in South Africa, you’ll be issued with a handwritten marriage certificate on the day of your wedding at no cost, by the marriage officer. It is advisable to apply for your unabridged certificate from the Department of Home Affairs soon as possible, as all marriages are registered at the Department. Abridged Certificate Soon after your wedding, an Abridged Typed Marriage Certificate, issued by Home Affairs will be sent to you. This Abridged Marriage Certificate will contain both your personal details such as full name and ID number as well as the date of the marriage. It is sufficient for couples who are living in South Africa, as proof of marital status, and it will be accepted in certain countries abroad with an apostille/authentication. Unabridged Marriage Certificates  An unabridged certificate, also known as a full marriage certificate, contains more detailed information about both spouses, in addition to verifying that the nuptials are permissible and also documenting that the marriage has been witnessed by eligible spectators. This formal certificate is generally required if you plan to travel extensively, emigrate or obtain a foreign passport. If one or both spouses are not South African, an unabridged marriage certificate will be required to register the marriage their home countries.